[C320-list] Process for bottom painting while commissioning a newCatalina?

Paul Rickman ilove2sail at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 20:42:03 PST 2009

When the paint is coming off on to the roller it is time to strip the bottom and repaint. I have used, and
recommend peel away. Follow the directions on the container. Won't hurt the bottom but sure gets rid
of the paint. In my case, 10 years of bottom paint. Buy it at Home Depot -- help the economy but cheaper
than West Marine. I've posted this before, but here is what I did:

Put it on following directions. Put down plastic on the ground then go home for the night.
Next morning take a 3 or 4 inch putty knife and scrape all the paint onto the plastic. Roll up
the plastic and put it into the trash. Using a dry wall sander, wet sand the bottom until it is clean. Using 80 grit paper lightly sand the bottom. Put on the required coats of barrier coat 2000/2001 (follow directions). Before the last coat cures completely, put on the first coat of of bottom paint. Put on second coat of bottom paint and go sailing.

I have done three boats with this process. It works.

Paul
Affinity, 657