[C320-list] Replace Main Halyard

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jul 1 19:42:56 PDT 2009

I would not use Staset X for the main halyard.  It's too stiff and hard
to handle.  It's OK for a jib halyard with roller furling, but not if
you are putting the sail up and down every day.  Better to go with
regular StaSet, or with something more exotic if you are worried about
stretch.

StaSet X is also no fun to splice (speaking from personal experience
here), and doesn't knot well.

If you want to learn to splice, a "reeving splice" in the tail of the
new halyard is a good first project.  This is a little loop sewn into
the tail only so that it has no greater diameter than the line itself.
You can use it to pull the halyard through using a messenger line.  (You
can run a messenger line by sewing or taping to the tail end of the old
halyard before you pull it out.)  The advantage of this approach is that
you can remove the halyard easily and quickly any time you want in the
future.

The tape methods work, but are messy and difficult in my experience.
Getting the tape off the halyard when you are done is the messy part, if
you've really rolled it on tightly as you should.

Scott Thompson

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653