[C320-list] Battery Management

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 05:17:09 PDT 2009

Upgrading your charging system to an HO alternator will solve the
problem but the upgrade is around $750 and your diesel engine at
$10000+ is a rather expensive device to treat as a battery charger.
The Honda 2KW generator mentioned below will cost around $1000
(depending on vendor) but saves wear on your diesel (and your ears)
for more important tasks.  I went with the alternator, later buying
the Honda because I might add some high current devices (HVAC) onboard
in the future.  I built a short (5 foot) 'pigtail' plug to go into the
boats' shore power connector.  I used to store the generator under the
dining table but later made room in the port cockpit lazarette.  I
don't like storing gasoline 'below' anywhere, but this generator fuel
tank seems quite leak tight.  I've never smelled gas fumes in the
cabin or lazarette.  As a precaution, I can run the blower and open
the lazarette hatch for a check and airing while I prep for
departure.  The generator has added uses around the house.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906