[C320-list] Schaeffer furler mainteance

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Thu Jul 2 09:20:48 PDT 2009

It is a split drum, and no need to remove the forestay.  You cannot
adequately flush mine from below with the drum in place, and in fact you
have to partially disassemble the lower part of the unit in addition to
removing the drum in order to properly access all of the lower unit
bearings.  Sure, this is not the best design, but compared to the cost
of a new unit I'm willing to put up with it.

Detailed instructions are in the installation/owner's manual.  There is
a copy on the Schaeffer web site although it isn't easy to find.  Here
is a link:

http://www.furling.com/JibFurlingInstallationInstructions.pdf

[Karl/Jeff, could we get a copy of this on the web site?]

Look at page 25 for maintenance instructions.

I've only done it once, although in theory it should be an annual
affair, just like the winches.  My recollection is that it took a few
hours, a large part of which was spent trying to loosen the grub screws
that hold the "cage" in position around the drum.  These are stainless
set into aluminum -- never the best setup -- and will want some
anti-sieze goop when you reinstall.  The rest was pretty easy, but there
are quite a few steps, and a bunch of parts that could go overboard, so
it's not a quick job.  Probably could do it faster the second time.

Scott

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653