[C320-list] Boat Speed

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Tue Jul 7 13:00:35 PDT 2009

If you have a 3 blade prop then it is almost certainly the factory
option and it will be appropriately pitched for the 320.  At least mine
was on hull number 653 before I switched to a folding prop.

You cannot compare RPM / speed correspondences across different boat
designs with any reliability.  There are two many variables in hull
shape, bottom condition, prop, and gear ratios.  So the fact that those
other boats were doing well at the same RPMs isn't very relevant.

For the Yanmar 3GM30F cruising RPMs are technically 3100.  3400 is the
max RPM (the "one hour" rating).  However both of these are considerably
greater than what most owners actually use.  The tachometers are not
necessarily very reliable, and the speedometers aren't very reliable
either.  You should be able to get up to 7 knots through the water, but
you need to make sure that your speedo is calibrated to be sure you have
an accurate reading.

If you can't make 7 knots on the GPS in flat water and no wind or
current then you do have a problem.  The most likely culprits (assuming
the engine runs well and you aren't towing anything or carrying a heavy
load) then the most likely problem is a fouled prop or a fouled bottom.

I have found that it takes very little fouling of the prop to cause a
very noticeable decrease in max speed and max RPMs, and rough running at
anything above 2000 RPMs.  If your engine is putting out any black smoke
at all then a fouled prop would be my first suspect.

Scott Thompson

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653