[C320-list] Which LED to Buy

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jun 4 10:40:48 PDT 2009

Dick,

With all due respect to the opinions of others on this list regarding
LEDs, I have yet to find a replacement that offers the same light output
as the 20w MR-16 Phillips halogen reflector in my cabin's overhead
fixtures.

My own data collection supports what I seen in numerous reviews, including
the 1/2009 issue of Practical Sailor.

Therefore there is no easy answer to your question, which is one I have
been struggling with also for some time.
You must determine the compromises that you are willing to accept. Of
course, the eye adjusts nicely to different brightness and you might not
even realize the lower luminance in a single stimulus comparison.

That said, I am very pleased with the 9 SMT MR-16 device from
ledwholesalers (their item 1208WW) for general overhead lighting. I
believe you would be dissappointed trying to read using that bulb however.
For reading, the LUXEON, model 1204WH from ledwholesalers does a nice job
because of its focused hotspot.
At 40" from the fixture, the width of that hotspot is about 16".

For our aft berth reading lamps, I like the 6 SMT MR-11 device from
ledwholesalers or the Swego LEDG4B (which sports 10 SMTs and achieves
nearly the luminance of the G4 halogen bulb at 1/4 the current draw).

Regards,
Karl

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690

Join us August 7-9, 2009 at Marina Del Rey, CA for our annual Catalina
320IA Regatta and Annual Meeting.