[C320-list] Battery Ventilation

Mon Jun 8 07:37:05 PDT 2009

I would think that the passive ventilation is good enough...not sure if ANY manufacturer provides any sort of positive ventilation for other boats..

I feel that some times, not always, folks on this list tend to take things to a much farther side of the spectrum than is realistic...it's like the carrying gasoline in a safety can or even when talking about boats with gasoline tanks built-in---people talk as if those are simply floating bombs yet power boats and sailors with outboard engines carry gasoline all of the time and very few, if any, problems.

Again, the major part of batteries is to make sure you don't 'cook' them by having a 3-stage charger in good working order, keep them topped off appropriately and give them a look see every week or so...eyeballing them is the key...unless you go and get gel cells or AGM's then they are truly maintenance-free
----------------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: "warren updike" [wupdike at hotmail.com]
Sent: 06/08/2009 10:11 AM AST
To: <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: [C320-list]  Battery Ventilation

All this talk of batteries got me to thinking: If hydrogen and oxygen gases
produced by charging lead-acid batteries can be dangerous, why is it that
Catalina provided no ventilation for the battery locker?  Has anyone added
any positive ventilation to a C320?  I'm interested in how it was done.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay