[C320-list] Masthead Sheaves on Older Models

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Jun 10 20:58:02 PDT 2009

Looking at the mast manual from Charleston Spars on the Association web
site it looks like the sheaves are "Acetal."  They are not all the same
size.  Of course I don't know whether that applies to early boats, but
the pictures in the manual look just like my 1999 boat's masthead.  The
design appears to require you to remove the mast head cover in order to
remove the sheaves.  The masthead cover is the black insert in the top
of the masthead in this picture:

http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=20081116101601205

Of course if you have the usual array of windex, wind speed instruments,
  anchor light, antenna, etc. as in the picture then you will have to
remove some of that first because it will be in the way and maybe even
blocking access to the masthead cover.  So once you are up there (and I
mean WAY up there to get access to the top of the mast) you get to
remove all of that hardware.  Don't drop any of course.  Nor any of the
mounting screws.  Then you get to remove the masthead cover (and more
screws), and finally figure out how to get the sheaves out with the
weight of the halyards on them.  (Don't forget to not disconnect the
halyards holding you up.  This is going to require switching halyards at
some point if you want to replace all of the sheaves.)  Then put it all
back together.  No problem.

Personally, I find changing a lightbulb up there to be a challenge.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653

--
Scott Thompson