[C320-list] Keel bolts

Jeff Church 387 jc387 at att.net
Wed Jun 17 20:23:59 PDT 2009

Jerry,

The boat should be resting on the keel when you torque the bolts. You won't get an accurate torque
reading when you are attempting to lift some portion of a 4400 pound keel that is hanging from the
bolt, and binding the nut. Also, the nut has to be moving when you take the reading. You won't get
an accurate reading if you just pull on the wrench and then stop when you reach the torque setting,
  and the nut hasn't moved. You might need to loosen the nut a bit and then tighten it in order to
get an accurate reading.

I was once told that the rule of thumb for torquing keel bolts bedded in lead is bolt diameter times
100, and I have notes that indicate the actual CY spec is 105 ft/lbs. That being the case, 235
ft/lbs might just start to pull the bolt through the lead. You might want to check further.

JeffC