[C320-list] Aft Cabin Access Door

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 22 11:07:30 PDT 2009

The most important use I ever made of that door was the time I
accidentally secured the main hatch with the wrong padlock, for which
the keys were all in the chart table below.  That access door was my way
in, although it took me a few minutes of head banging to work out this
option.  On second thought, maybe this is a reason to close it up!

Before giving it up, think about whether there could be times when you
want access to the steering gear without opening the lazarette.  Dealing
with a failed or jammed steering cable in big waves and storm conditions
comes to mind as a possibility.  My boat probably won't ever see those
conditions on the Chesapeake Bay, but if I were sailing offshore I'd
think about this.

Scott

--
Scott Thompson