[C320-list] When do you reef?

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Mar 9 18:06:13 PDT 2009

Kevin,

I was trying to remember when I reef - too many calm weather days on
Lake Michigan the last few years have meant very few chances to reef.

But if memory serves me, here are the approximate reefing times for my
crew and I.

* At apparent wind 16 kts and over, I begin to furl the head sail
upwind or on reaches; headsail is a 155%.  I leave main alone.  If my
course will be a steady reach or upwind I go to the 100% Jib Sail.
* At around 21 kts apparent wind or gusty conditions we look at
reefing the main.
* Over 30 kts apparent wind we look at the second reef and using the
storm jib, or furl the genoa mostly in.
* We stop using the heavy spinnaker over 28 kts apparent wind.  I will
say we have gotten over 13 kts on the boat with a strong blow, reefed
main, and the heavy spinnaker with surfing action.  It was wild.

NOTE - when I am short handed or with the kids, grandparents, weak
guests I take things much easier.  When cruising and adventuring, I do
not reef until after 15 kts and depending on the constitution of the
crew and interest we do fly the 155 genoa up to 15 kts.  Alternatively
if things are a little rougher for guests we may use only the main or
the genoa; we may stay on the inland lake (Lake Macatawa) and avoid
Lake Michigan altogether.  Or they may just sit on the boat in the
slip!   Typically, though winds are mostly light and we keep things
very easy for guests..

Another rule is we shorten the main and the headsails earlier if the
weather will get bad.  Back in the day it would be done quite a bit
early, up to 3 hours early depending on how nervous I was.  Now with
all the weather monitoring systems on board we do a change as early as
15 minutes before a major weather change with crew of 3 or more or 30
minutes as a couple.

Also, for the curious, when doing long races we do not use the furler
- instead we disable the furler (dropping the drum from up top) and
use the duel tracks to do a sail peel.  Thus a sail is always up when
changing sails.

Now is this confusing?  Am I all over the map?  It is simple though -
reefing is based on the limits of your boat, sails and crew.  If you
are a cruising couple do not even bother flying a spinnaker in the
dark in 25 kts of wind - I had six very experienced sailors on board,
and yes there is still the risk of a mistake, but we did it.

Now when to use what sail when and where is a whole different story.

Hope this helps gives you some insight on the boat and my experiences
with reefing.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"