[C320-list] Gori vs Flex-o-fold vs Kiwi props

Amirault Family - S&B amiraults at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 12 14:38:51 PDT 2009

Jerry:

All three companies remain in business and thus their products are doubtless
good at their designed function. In spring '08 I replaced my fixed 3-blade
prop with a Kiwi. The selection was made based on research that suggested it
should perform as well as other brands,  at a lower price. I cannot confirm
this as I have had no direct experience with the other choices.

The install is straight forward. I did not have the key in properly, with
the result that I had to immediately remove and reinstall the unit. This
proved difficult for me as the prop puller used was old and not designed for
a prop with such a thick, slope-shouldered hub. Thus I removed the original
prop myself, but needed a second set of hands for the Kiwi removal.

I did not do pre/post installation performance measurements; you can only
consider my experience anecdotal.

The fixed prop was a real brake in reverse. So is the Kiwi. Stops are very
rapid when some throttle is applied. Prop walk in reverse appears less with
the Kiwi, but I suspect that it is more likely that this result is really
from the boat gaining way in reverse quicker and so control at the helm
arrives sooner. The bottom line is that in a slip where I am 4 feet or less
from my slip mate to port, I no longer fear sliding into him as I reverse
into the fairway.

Out on the river the power delivery is smoother as there is less slightly
vibration at high revs. There was no modification to the rest of the drive
train to account for this. The prop develops plenty of thrust and I can move
at hull speed.

Under sail I definitely point higher. I have read that this is a benefit of
the prop but cannot confirm this as I replaced the original 150% headsail
with a tri radial 135% at the same time; never having used the new prop with
the old sail. There is no real difference when the wind is up. In lighter
air there is no remarkable difference in a straight line; possibly because
of the reduction in head sail size. All of the race crew agrees that in
light air we are very much faster regaining maximum speed from the available
wind after coming out of a tack; acceleration is much improved.

In Canadian fresh water conditions there is little maintenance. There are
grease points on the blades and a requirement to grease the blades yearly.
The Toronto distributor suggests removing the blades to do this rather than
using the lube points and the supplied lube fitting for your grease gun.

As to the characteristics of the prop and the technical aspects of materials
and manufacture, these are available on the company website. I am happy with
my choice. You should expect to find the owners of other models under
consideration happy with theirs as well.

Regards;

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too