[C320-list] How to measure prop shaft play?

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 16:06:01 PDT 2009

I've a question.  For years my prop shaft has had zero play.  We're about to start our 9th season and I'm finally noticing a bit of play in the shaft.  Nigel Calder says more than about 1/16" and it's time to replace the cutless bearing.  I'm figuring it is either this season or next season but would prefer next season like the good procrastinator that I am.  We've had no vibration.

So being the lousy estimator that I am, what is a good way to determine how much play I'm feeling?

 -bill
 Harmony #859