[C320-list] Packing Gland Size - Perkins Engine

warren updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:20:45 PDT 2009

I'm not sure that size matters all that much. Of course, a man will always
tell you that.  However, whether 1/4" or 3/8", once in the packing nut the
material is considerably deformed as it is compressed. If 1/4" is too small,
you may need to add another ring after initially wearing in.  The diesel
mechanic from whom I took a class in diesel operation and maintenance said
he never removed the packing only added an additional ring every so often.
The point is to have sufficient packing that only a slight drip occurs
underway, and that the packing nut is never more than slightly warm to the
touch.

If you do start from scratch by removing the old packing, start with 3 new
rings with the cuts rotated by 120 deg. Let it run-in for a few hours while
adjusting the packing nut to keep the drip down to every 10 sec. or so.  If
you've turned the packing nut more than a turn or two, plan on adding
another ring of packing. You can't have too much. You can surely have to
little.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay