[C320-list] Tacking Efficiently in Racing

sailorlew at aol.com sailorlew at aol.com
Fri Mar 20 06:11:38 PDT 2009

I find that the best way to tack is to have 3 people working. 1 prepared to take in the lazy sheet, 1 prepared to release the working sheet, & 1 at the mast to manually bring the jib across. The person who releases the working sheet then crosses the cockpit to crank the handle at the correct time, the person at the mast pulls the jib across to prevent it from hanging up, the person on the lazy sheet tails as much by hand as he can when the jib is across, & the person on the handle starts cranking as soon as the sheet being tailed is tight.
Lew