[C320-list] Tacking Efficiently in Racing

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 07:14:14 PDT 2009

As Andrew suggested, the helmsman has a lot to do with the efficiency of the
tack. The tack needs to be a smooth, moderate tempo, swing through the eye
of the wind as he describes, slow but not too slow. It needs to be carried a
bit deeper than the optimum point of sail for a couple of moments to power
up the sails and let the boat accelerate faster before pointing up and final
trim in.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC