[C320-list] Winter Covering

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Sun Nov 1 11:07:21 PST 2009

Scott,

I have no stress cracks at all around my boarding ladder - either
where the pads make contact or the attachment points.  Everything
looks fine.

Now admittedly a person climbing the ladder is heavier than a person
in the water hanging on the bottom rung of the ladder.  However, this
is not so on the upper rungs.  Bear in mind though I put a ladder next
to the boarding ladder and I step onto the boarding ladder near the
top rungs, not the bottom rung.  Now if one boards right onto the
lowest rung directly all the time on the hard I can see some problems,
especially with the added forces of struggling to get onto the
boarding ladder from the lowest rung.

Either way, the ladder next to the boarding ladder and the zipper
opening at the transom has worked well for me.

Other items about getting a pre-made cover: you have to find a place
to store it (which I find to be a pain and you might have associated
summer storage costs), and if you hire someone to place the cover on
the boat for you the savings is reduced.

And the plastic cover is nice for heating things under the cover in
the sun.  Plus the snow and ice melt quicker off the plastic vs. a
canvas cover.  With the canvas and build up of ice and snow there is a
potential to bend and break things.  I have seen this happen in
Michigan.  Do not forget, you will also have repair costs associated
with the canvas, especially after 10 years and this is not cheap.

And you can recycle the plastic.

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320 "Dawn Treader"