[C320-list] Winter Covering

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 1 14:29:21 PST 2009

In short, I leave the mast up and cover with a device of my own design that
is very cost effective and has worked well for five winters with the same
tarp.

I use the whisker pole connected to the mast ring forward to the bow to hold
up that part of the cover. Behind the mast I erect a frame of 1-1/2" PVC
pipe the backbone of which goes over the boom with laterals descending to
the gunnels. Joint are secured with screws only some of which are removed to
dissemble. The boom is wrapped with pieces of carpet where the laterals
cross over. Wire ties secure the frame backbone to the boom and the topping
lift is removed. The weight of the boom helps to secure the frame in-place.
Three rows of small wood furring strips are screwed fore and aft to the PVC
laterals to keep the cover from dipping in with the weight of snow and ice.
Over this is placed a 20' X 30' heavy duty plastic tarp (silver backed) now
approaching its 6th season. The tarp is slit from the mast forward and at
each shroud down to the edge (I'll deal with the shrouds differently with
the next tarp.) I use a special 3M UV resistant duct tape (great stuff,) to
close all the seams. Light stuff tied to the lower grommets with line that
cross under the hull from side to side allow the cover to be tensioned. At
the bow, the tarp is left open a tad, and at the stern the tarp does not
cover the pushpit below the seats. In this way, the wind is able to blow
through without creating air pressure inside: no ballooning. Yet, no snow or
ice inside.

Bottom line: the whole thing cost less than $200. That's $40 a year and
dropping.

Yes, it's a bit more labor intensive and really needs two people to erect,
especially handling the large tarp. I do have to transport and store the
thing. The whole rig fits in my Nissan Altima. The tensioning lines need an
occasional adjustment which I do when I go to charge batteries.

If not too pressed for time, I'll take some pictures this year.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay