[C320-list] Grid liner & bilge design question - newer vs. olderissues

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sun Nov 15 13:26:00 PST 2009

Sean,

As a matter of fact I have #246.

I would call the bilge water issue a hassle, but as others have pointed out
if you find an early model that you like and that fits your budget I
wouldn't eliminate it from consideration because of the bilge.

There is a not too obvious advantage to the shallow bilge.  Because you will
want to keep all water out you are very aware of any water leaks that may
occur.  With a deeper bilge and automatic bilge pump if you routinely have
some water in the bilge, like from a stuffing box, than an additional leak
will go undetected.

With the shallow bilge if you do get water in the bilge it can get into the
storage compartments under the settees when you heel and get stuff stored
there wet.

If I had to do it again I would probably would buy one with the deep keel
but I didn't have that choice in 1995.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246