[C320-list] engine hours

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Oct 6 06:31:17 PDT 2009

I agree with Chris here. I'll add one other point that is not always obvious.

Engine Hours on a diesel boat are not comparable to Truck/ Car diesel hours.  The main reason is that in a trucks load the engine heavily while accelerating, then use only a portion of that Hp to maintain cruising speed.  Overcoming grades/rolling/wind resistance is the primary load.

On a moving boat, the engine is loaded heavily all the time,  its like a truck always climbing a hill.  Now if we could plane,  then that would be different.

So,  with the exception of idling and battery charging,  boat engine hours are far more extreme than truck hours and need rebuilding much earlier.

-Jeff H.