[C320-list] Bottom Paint

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Oct 20 17:58:21 PDT 2009

Max - Assuming an ablative paint has been used, what you are seeing or
experiencing is normal.  The paint acts like a bar of soap, sloughing off as
the boat moves through the water and taking the growth with it.  But you
need to know what kind of paint was last used as not all paints are
multi-launch/multi-season.  We use Micron Extra with Biolux which is a
multi-launch/multi-season paint.

Interlux (the manufacturer) recommends putting one color of paint on then
cover it with another color.  You don't repaint until you see the bottom
color showing through.

Every 2 years, I very gently sand the bottom to get any growth off that did
not come off with the power washing, plus to ensure a smooth surface for the
new paint.  USE A MASK OR HOOD WITH FILTER, HAT, GLOVES, EYE COVERING AND
OVERALLS; this stuff is very toxic.  I also use a wet vac with a drywall bag
inside and use an orbital sander for the sanding; you don't want the dust
flying around the marina.  I then put 3 coats of ablative on with 5 coats on
the leading edges.  We sail about 50-55 times per season so this works well
for us.

As for repainting in the Spring, ablative can go on anytime the temp is
above about 50 degrees, assuming it is multi-season/multi-launch paint.  The
Interlux website has much more info on this that should be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Herrington Harbour South