[C320-list] Batteries

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Oct 28 08:08:14 PDT 2009

Just to be clear,  "all winter" is really different for different people.  I'd say you've  been "really lucky".  :)

Flooded battery self discharge rates vary a lot based on mfgr and age.  Some older flooded batteries may drop 30%± a month if not charged, whereas a different/newer one may only lose 10%/month. I'd hazard a guess that our 4Ds run closer to 15%.

Flooded batteries in good shape, fully charged *might* survive 4 mos without being charged but certainly won't make it 6 mos without some damage to their capacity.  Seems silly not to maintain them in storage given their importance.

I'd stick with whatever routine works for you in your situation.

-Jeff