[C320-list] Re Batteries & Fridge

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Tue Sep 8 12:26:44 PDT 2009

I used to have an 18 watt rigid solar panel made by ICP of Canada and
sold by WM and others.  It was good for a maintenance charge during
the week (took care of the odd bilge pump run) but obviously was too
small to replace what the fridge and other items would consume during
even a weekend sail.  I relied on the two hour round trip motor down/
up the river (to get offshore) to replace the bulk of what power I
withdrew.  I had replaced the stock (real wimpy) charging system with
a high output one.

It seems (to me) that any aftermarket system purchased for recharging
the house batteries costs about $1000 +/- $200 by the time all is
done.  My upgraded alternator package was about $850 for the parts; I
did the install myself.  A 130 watt solar panel system is about $1000,
as is a 2KW (though one could get by with less) generator.  I have the
generator as well; the justification was that it could perform double
duty during power outages at home.  Our future may include a solar
panel on our davits as well.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906