[C320-list] In-mast Furling

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 15:06:32 PDT 2009

On my fathers 1984 Cape Dory 28, we raised the main (which had
horizontal battens) manually, later dropping it and 'hand flaking' it
ourselves over the boom.

My issues with furling (particularly in mast) systems is that they
don't have the battens that give the sail better shape.  Also, if the
furler jams, you can't drop the main.
That could be a problem if the wind is kicking up.

Bob
Intuition # 906