[C320-list] In-mast Furling

wflowe3 at netscape.net wflowe3 at netscape.net
Sat Sep 12 14:00:40 PDT 2009

 I've had in-mast on a Beneteau 281 for 6 years and also have it on my 2008, 320.? In my experience, the dreaded "jamming" that some keep speaking about has only occurred when deploying the main, never when reefing or furling.? That's because if you furl it haphazardously the sail? gets wrinkled as you furl it and these wrinkles can hang as it exits the mast slot.? I would not let fear of not being able to roll in the sail play much in your decision.? As to pointing ability and sail size, it is true that the main will be 10-15% smaller than a conventional main. My main has vertical battens and it points as well as most of the Catalinas, Hunters and? Beneteaus on our lake.J Boats eat me up though.? I think my pointing ability is helped because I have the deep keel and most of the boats on our lake have wing keel.? I single hand most of the time and the ability to reef both main and genoa from the cockpit, by myself is great.

Don't have any experience with in-boom but I'm sure it works well too. I believe that in-boom is probably more expensive but I'm not sure.