[C320-list] Sails on new 320

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Tue Sep 29 16:14:01 PDT 2009

Simon-Unless you ordered your own sails, I would assume they are OEM from
Catalina,  The sails supplied on my new 2002 hull 894 were OEM from
Catalina.  They are decent and in pretty good shape right now into their 8th
season of cruising.  I have made a few minor repairs over the years to the
155 genoa as a result of chafing on the life lines.  No major problems with
the main or genoa.  After each sail all control lines to the sails are
relieved of strain so they don't stretch while furled or flaked at the dock.

I believe most sail makers would look down on the factory sails from
Catalina as they are trying to sell their brand.  And their brand is always
better performing than the competition in their advertising.  I would not
expect the Catalina supplied sails to be as good performance-wise as proper
ones from a good loft.

Maybe your sails were made on a Monday.

I have sailed on a few 320s with UK, North or Quantum sails.  These seem to
be better performing than OEM sails and I assume fairly expensive.  I looked
at a new Sabre from my dealer and was told the sails supplied are from
North.  Many of the higher end sailboat manufacturers let the new owner
choose sails and pay for them also.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894