[C320-list] Making a 15-year-old boat shine

Kevin onedrop7 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 06:05:02 PDT 2010

Heh, heh...I'm really not masochistic. I just decided that this year I would try a modified version of a cleaning/polishing regimen that I found posted on Sailnet  while back: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Robert, I concur with the six hours per side during my compounding and initial polish stages (machine applied). It got MUCH faster when I got to the hand-applied glaze (I did the whole boat in 5 hours). And I've got to the say, the "show car" glaze is what really made the shine pop. It was amazing.

Why the wax after polish and glaze? The original poster (who claims
experience as a detailer of high end cars) says that real carnauba wax
is not for GETTING a shine but rather for PROTECTING a shine. I dunno.
I'm an amateur, but he seemed to know what he was talking about and the
photos of hulls he's done looked pretty convincing so I thought I'd try it and see.

It was a lot of work. I hope the shine will last a while and more importantly, that it will clean up easier later in the season. If so, maybe I'll do it again this way next year.

Thanks for the comments!

Kevin
S/V Cecilia Ann, #211
Deale, MD