[C320-list] Thru Hull Lubrication

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Mon Apr 26 17:41:15 PDT 2010

This is what the Forespar web site says, but their tech guy said you don't
need to do it. Go figure.
Makes sense to me to at least do it from outside when you haul.

Happy Sailing!

John
2007 C320MKII
Hull 1118
Guntersville, AL

MarelonR - Marine Grade Plumbing Systems Valve Lubrication

As a follow up to previous Tech Tips; it is important to know that while
MarelonR fixings are corrosion resistant, they do require twice yearly
lubrication maintenance. These valves should be activated on a regular
schedule. The handle should be moved throughout the open/close path every
thirty days. Leaving a valve open or closed without moving the handle can
cause freeze-up. This is true of any valve, including bronze. The law of
nature is "use it or loose it".

To lubricate ball valves and seacocks while the boat is in the water you
must:

   1. Close valve.
   2. Remove hose from tailpipe.
   3. Remove remaining water from valve/tailpipe.
   4. Swab waterproof grease (water pump grease, winch grease) or LanoCoteT,
generously, on ball.
   5. Reattach hose, checking for fatigue and rusted hose clamps.
   6. Activate valve a few times. When boat is hauled, you can perform steps
4-6 from outside the hull to lubricate opposite side of ball and seals.