[C320-list] Patching Interior Woodwork

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Thu Apr 29 07:46:51 PDT 2010

First, don't drill it out any larger than you have to.  If you do drill
it out, use a Forstner bit to get a clean hole.  You might put some blue
tape over before drilling, just to be sure you get a clean edge.  Then,
don't use a dowel for the plug.  A dowel would give you end grain, which
will not match the face grain around it and would take a stain or
varnish differently.  If you have a plug cutter, cut a plug from
something as close to teak as possible (e.g. teak, iroko, mahogany,
etc.).  Otherwise, just buy some (e.g.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|296161&id=101599).
Glue it with CA glue or something like Titebond III.  Use a flush cut
saw or good sharp chisel to trim it flush.  I would use a card scraper ,
rather than sanding, to get it smooth.  Finish.