[C320-list] Boat Draft and Grounding (Wing Keel)

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Fri Aug 13 12:27:54 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,

The difference in draft between salt and fresh water will be well under an inch
(assuming your not floating in the Dead Sea), so I don't think that is very
relevant in this case.

I've grounded Easy Going a couple of times here on the Chesapeake. If I am in an
area where the depth is questionable I generally go slow enough (assuming I'm
under power) so that I could hopefully back off with the engine or with the help
of a neighboring boat if I grounded. My biggest concern is the rudder, which as
you noted is about the same depth as the keel depending on the year of the boat.
Fortunately the bay bottom is pretty soft in most places.

I would say that if you can motor in the areas of concern, keep your speed down
if possible so that if you do ground, something simple like kedging with an
anchor in combination with the engine and wave action can help you get off.

Larry
Hull 609