[C320-list] Battery boxes

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri Aug 13 16:14:33 PDT 2010

Hi,

I can't say whose right.  *I* believe Catalina however.  With well over 1000 hulls built and shipped all over the world this way, it's a non-issue for the intended use of the boat in my opinion.

Given that the batteries are in a well protected area and securely held down, sit in a spill tray,  there's little to be gained by a battery box. One wouldn't fit anyway without downsizing the batteries.

The real danger of flooded batteries I've heard is the chance of seawater contacting battery acid. A box won't likely solve that since they MUST be we'll vented.

If using the boat for serious offshore use you'd use AGMs anyway for maximum safety.
Just keep the 4Ds we'll secured and enjoy the boat.

-Jeff