[C320-list] Battery boxes

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 05:56:44 PDT 2010

I have studied this question previously and subject to someone
providing me an authoritative interpretion that I am not aware of, the
following is my  interpretaion of the question. There is no such
requirement or recommendation and it is a misinterpretation by the
surveyor. Not all surveyors are qualified. My good friend Karl may
have fallen into the same trap as the surveyor by reading more into
the recommendations than is there. a Box is an acceptable arrangement
but the controlling provisions are :

"10.7.2 Provision shall be made to contain incidental leakage and
spillage of electrolyte."

 Note the use of the word "incidental". This is not synonymous with
"all" and thus, does not call for "leakproof"

10.7.7.3 is in a differnt subsection and calls for "installing the
battery in a compartment specially designed only for the battery(s)."
I believe the ABYC battery installation requirements have been
complied with by Catalina with the design of the segregated
compartment with trays and complying hold down frame.

What I suspect has occurred is the surveyor has read 10.7.7.3 without
considering the disjunctive 'or' at the end of the sentence as
follows.

 10.7.7.2 installing the battery in a covered battery box, or.

10.7.7.3 installing the battery in a compartment specially designed
only for the battery(s).

Even more incorrect is that this requirement is in the section dealing
with electrical contact, the electrolytic leaking requirement stands
alone in its wow subsection 10.7.2. the battery box provisions are in
10.7.7 and the surveyor has combined the two different subsections as
one requirement.

10.7.7 To prevent accidental contact of the ungrounded battery
connection to ground, each battery shall be protected so that metallic
objects cannot come into contact with the ungrounded battery terminal
and uninsulated cell
straps. This may be accomplished by means such as;

10.7.7.1 covering the ungrounded battery terminal with a boot or
non-conductive shield, or
10.7.7.2 installing the battery in a covered battery box, or
10.7.7.3 installing the battery in a compartment specially designed
only for the battery(s).

I believe that our boats come with a certificate that they comply with
the American Boat & Yacht Council, recommendations.

Your surveyor need to re-read these recommendations and revise his
opinion or provide some authoritative guideline that he has relied
on...if they want to stay insurer's approved list they can't make up
their own standards.

My need to study this came from a discussion with a CG Auxilliray
member's interpretation for the requiremnt for a boot on the
terminals in order to earn a sticker. when I showed her the standards
her answer was.."well. you might put something in there that could
contact the terminal"...I pointed out she was making up her own
interpretation since there was nothing else in the compartment...the
discussion stalled when I also pointed out that her hypothetical
'something' could dislodge the stupid, ill designed boot she was
calling for.
.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC
Note the word "incidental" that is not equivilent with "all". Nor, as