[C320-list] Battery boxes

LOCALJG at aol.com LOCALJG at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 12:30:03 PDT 2010

Hi Larry:  Thanks for the info.  My boat is paid for so this isn't an
insurance issue.  I was just curious.  I like doing things correctly and just
couldn't understand why Catalina would not be doing "the right thing" when it
came to battery boxes.  Apparently Catalina is doing the right thing.

Which reminds me; thank you to all the people who provided me with the
wealth of information that has been sent.  Whatever they are paying you guys, it
isn't enough.

Larry, you mentioned two other types of batteries; AGMs and Gells.  I was
under the understanding that the Rolls 4D was, well, the Rolls Royce of
batteries?  For a cruising C320, do you believe another battery would provide the
requisite energy and still provide such a long life as the 4D?  The 4Ds I
am about to replace have been in service for over 10 years and are only now
beginning to have issues.

One thing I can say about not having a battery sealed in a battery box is
that there has been some acid leakage down the battery and onto the
fiberglass.  The fiberglass has been discolored but still holds strong.

Does anyone else have this acid on fiberglass issue?

John # 329