[C320-list] Battery boxes

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 08:41:20 PDT 2010

John,

It appears that most of your questions have been answered.

I currently have gel cells and what I like most is that they are maintenance
free.  I don't need to add water.

What nobody seemed to have said is that there three battery technologies to
choose from.  If you know this then I apologize for assuming you don't.

Wet cells use liquid sulfuric acid as the electrolyte.  You have to check
and add distilled water periodically as a maintenance item.  Sulfuric acid
is highly corrosive and must be handled with care.  Rolls has a very good
reputation for this type of battery.

Gel cells use an electrolyte that is in a gel.  It is not a liquid.  You do
not add water to this type of battery and there is not much potential for
spillage.

AGM are absorbed glass mat batteries.   The electrolyte is absorbed in a
glass mat and like the gel cells, you do not add water.  Like the gel they
are maintenance free with little chance for any spillage.

Each battery type has its pros and cons.  The main advantage of a wet cell
is that it will cost far less.  For some reason I am nervous about battery
acid sloshing around and maybe spilling from the top of a wet cell so I
chose one of the other two.  I will add however that I never once had any
problem with wet cells in this regard.

Larry