[C320-list] boat out

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 06:28:25 PDT 2010

I would be far more suspicious of damage than design fault.

Here is a photo that is very typical of a C-320 on stands. Note that
virtually all the weight is on the keel.

http://tinyurl.com/37rdngd

Somewhere someone posted a photo of a C-320 where the tide went out
leaving her standing on her keel for about eight hours with no damage,
but I can't find it today.

The only keel damage that I have seen reported on the two lists that I
participate in over the last seven years as a C-320 owner has been
rare and has resulted from known hard groundings. It doesn't make a
lot of sense to me that a C-320 can't rest on her keel as a matter of
course if she isn't otherwise damaged. And if that were the case, I
feel certain that we would have heard a lot about it in the way we
read about the "Catalina Smile" on the C-30 (which usually is a filler
issue not a structural one). Some areas with large tidal ranges even
have scrubbing pilings for boats to tie up to to scrub the bottom.
Riding up a marine railway would seem logically to be similar to a
tidal grounding. If a C-320 couldn't take that with ease, it would
seem likely that we East Coast US sailors would have keels falling off
like leaves.

I can't speak to the noises on the marine railway, because I've missed
the times mine has been blocked on stands. Commitment suffered going
aground into a cypress swamp and being dragged out by a tug when she
broke her mooring ring in Hurricane Ophelia. The only damage resulted
from being dragged out by the stern and that was limited to a bent
rudder post and some deep gouges in the wing. I have some pictures of
her standing on her keel in the swamp that I will try to upload to the
website.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC