[C320-list] boat out

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 06:23:23 PDT 2010

Agree with Chris on the design matter. I have not seen any reports of any
Catalina sailboat where the fixed keel could not support the boat except
maybe for a grounding at speed when dynamic forces are in play.   Slings in
front of and in
back of the keel are normally used to raise sailboats of the C320 size.

With lashings to the mast to keep the boat upright on the skid and the
possibility of
the boat sliding backward, the area around the mast step may have taken a
lot
of flexing force when you pulled the boat up the ramp.  I don't think you
would see these kind of forces during normal sailing.

Also, too much backward sliding of the boat could have caused the lashings
holding on to the mast to pull it forward relative to the boat lowering the
mast in a dramatic fashion if a critical stay or shroud let go in the
process.  I would think this would be a concern with a mast like ours which
is stepped at the cabin top.

Good luck on getting your boat on the tarmac.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894