[C320-list] correct stuffing box adjustment

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Aug 29 09:39:40 PDT 2010

I agree with Herb's guidelines.  Ultimately, you want it to run at a temp that won't burn your hand if you touch the nut after motoring at speed for a while.

If it is too hot to touch it needs to be loosened. If its got steady drips and cool to the touch, tighten it up until it either stops dripping or starts to get hot.

The GFO packing on ours barely drips when running and runs uncomfortably warm but not  too hot to keep a your hand on.  It always seems to have a drop of water on the underside of the nut if it has been sitting but a paper towel below it never gets wet.

After several seasons I inspected the shaft and there was no sign of wear at the contact area so I assume its not too tight.

I do suggest putting a few drops of penetrating oil on the threads every few months if you think of it to make adjustments an easy process.  I keep  a mini plastic dropper bottle of oil in the compartment so you can hit it on occasion when opening/closing the thru-hull if you see corrosion forming? But don't get oil on the shaft or on the packing material.

-Jeff