[C320-list] eliminating odor

Sean Kaldor spkaldor at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 12:20:11 PDT 2010

We've also had a problem with odor on our 1998 #499.

Prior Owner used rarely. Noticed the smell in the locker and in the compartment
under the sink upon purchase.

Took the following action:

(1) Replaced the entire head;
(2) Replaced all hoses to/from the head (raw water intake, pumpout) as well as
sink drain hose;
(3) Replaced the main vent hose;
(4) Replaced the hose from the head to the holding tank;
(5) Removed all wood from the locker, sprayed locker and compartment repeatedly
with pet odor 'natures miracle' remover;
(6) Cleaned entire head compartment with bleach/water;
(7) Have used fresh water flush since we purchased the boat, and no solid waste;
(8) Cleaned the thru-hull vent;

Four months later, I would say the odor is about 20% improved.

The only other steps I can think of would be:
(1) Replace the holding tank;
(2) Replace hoses to macerator, and the macerator;
(3) Scrub area under the holding tank with bleach/water and odor remover;

But I have no idea if that will really fix the problem. At this point, we don't
store anything in the locker and are happy the smell doesn't go any further than
that.

Sean
Liberté #499
San Francisco