[C320-list] Type of Glue Used for C320 MK II Teak Trim and Fridge Installation

David Swanson kswanson123 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 21:01:31 PST 2010

Fellow C320 IA List Serve Readers and/or
Kent Nelson, Engineering Department, Catalina Yachts

I have a 2007 C320 MK II, Hull No. 1107.  I received a call from Gerry Douglas a couple of months ago about how to remove my front opening refrigerator to install a vent in the back wall of the refrigerator enclosure.  The vent is needed to allow the refrigerator evaporator to cool more efficiently and hopefully to help the refrigerator cycle less.  The top of my counter above the refrigerator gets very hot when the fridge runs.  Apparently, this vent was never installed in my boat.

I have removed the refrigerator, installed the vent and now I am ready to reinstall the refrigerator.  My question is what type of glue does the factory use to install the finished teak lower trim piece and the finished teak bottom stop at the lower front edge of the fridge?  Both of these finished teak pieces are at the bottom  of the fridge opening and they were glued to the gelcoated fiberglass base of the opening.  The glue was very difficult to remove and it appears to be some kind of "hot glue" product.  I am emailing you to determine what kind of glue this is as I want to use the same product when I reinstall the refrigerator.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann