[C320-list] Horsepower?

Jack McDonough mcdonough5 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 30 08:05:43 PST 2010

Jim:

I don't doubt that 14 hp was sufficient for your 332 -- although our old
Cape Dory 30 was woefully underpowered in heavy seas with a Volvo Penta 13
horse diesel.

My point is that the horsepower of the new 355 seems to me to be out of
proportion when compared with the 320 and the 375.
Comparing my 320 with the 375 on the basis of weight, my math says the 375
should have a 38 hp engine. In fact it is 40.
Comparing my 320 with the 355, the same ratio-proportion exercise says the
355 should have a 34 hp engine. In fact it's only 29.

There is, of course, the slim possibility that Catalina knows more about
boat construction that I do.

But thanks for your input, anyway. I'm surprised the question didn't prompt
more discussion.

Jack