[C320-list] Dutchman Flaking System

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Dec 15 06:51:59 PST 2010

I'm a fan too, and agree that tightening up the lines properly is the
key.  They need to be (a) tight and (b) parallel to the mast when you
drop the sail.  This requires a bit of work setting up the topping lift
and marking it in the right place for dropping the main.  But once
that's done you can just put it at the sweet spot, snug the vang (if
necessary to tighten the lines), go head to wind, and dump the halyard.
  Using autopilot to keep the boat head to wind, I can drop the main,
flake it, and secure with sail ties working solo in about one minute
with the system.

BTW, works best with full-batten mainsail.

Also, my boat came with the continuous loop topping lift system, but
switched to the single line system when we bought a new sail.  I've
regretted that change.  The continuous loop system lets you relax the
Dutchman lines while still supporting the boom with the topping lift.
So you don't need slits/zippers in your cover, the main stays cleaner
and dryer with less chafe from the Dutchman lines while stowed, and the
cover is easier to put on and take off.

Jim Sweet wrote:
> You have discovered the key to making the system work-tight lines.  I've
> had the system on two boats now and it works great if the topping lift
> and guide lines are tight.
>
> Jim Sweet
> TGIF (Thank God It Floats) 901
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Meyers" <jcmeyers7 at gmail.com>