[C320-list] Handling chop & short period waves - Solo Sailing

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 08:55:24 PST 2010

Mike-Forgot to mention that I also do a lot of solo sailing on my boat.  So
I could easily keep an eye on boat speed, etc. when making sail adjustments
while not behind the helm, I installed a Raymarine wireless autopilot hand
controller on my Raymarine autopilot.  The unit I  bought is the more
expensive one with a data screen displaying 4 digital readouts from the
helm.  I use it basically as a wireless repeater and hook it up under the
dodger so you can see what is happening to boat speed when making sail
adjustments without having to run back to the helm to look at instruments.

I looked at hooking up a direct wired repeater under the dodger or at the
mast base, and concluded for less fishing of wires I get the same result
with the wireless autopilot.  And there are no ugly wires on the inside of
the cabin for a dodger installation of a wired repeater.

It's 4 degrees F here in the Chicago area so this is the only sailing
related activity of satisfaction this time of year.  Good luck in your boat
shopping.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894