[C320-list] ST-50 Instrument Replacement /// Went with St 60 Plus

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed Dec 29 04:38:13 PST 2010

Hi John,

Had a similar situation a couple of years ago with the ST 50 electronics and
considered all options. I decided to just replace everything with ST 60 Plus
components. The earlier wiring simplified the installation and lowered the
installation cost. Did not have to replace the depth transducer but have the
replacement ready to go.

If you install yourself, you will need to carve out larger holes to mount
the ST 60 displays on your helm pod. The good news is that the older
masthead ST 50 wind instrument mount is actually made of metal (rather than
plastic) and did not need to be replaced and should last longer than the
replacement mount.

I also had the original autopilot (that had been repaired several times)
replaced with the ST 60/X-5 unit. Last fall the X-5 computer was sent back
to either be replaced or updated.

Look for some deals on the St 60 Plus wind/depth/speed instruments that are
available in a tri-pack combined with any other discounts available,
including deals on the X-5 autopilot. I actually secured the best discounts
by purchasing the instruments through the installer who did the original
prelaunch work back in the spring of 1995. What I saved help offset the
installation cost plus I now receive the installer's ongoing support for any
adjustments, like pulling and sending back the X-5 box for an upgrade.

Rick
My-Ria #277