[C320-list] GPS Antenna Mount Location?-list Digest, Vol 710, Issue 1

Robert Tiernay bob.tiernay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:14:27 PST 2010

Now, a new question...

I'm installing a Raymarine C-80 and debating about the GPS antenna location.
My old GPS antenna was rail mounted. But I've had good success with the GPS
antenna working through the fiberglass (while sitting in the cabin on the
table!). I'm thinking of mounting it under the fiberglass back by the fuel
tank, pointed up under the steps aside the ladder. I can try it out for a
while and see if it works, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has
found success with locating their GPS antenna under the fiberglass. Any good
results, any good recommended locations?

Thanks!

Sean
Libert? #499
San Francisco

Sean

Fiberglass is used in the radomes which are used to protect antennas from
snow and ice.  GPS frequencies are fairly low (1.5 GHz) and as such the
fiberglass  decks should not be a problem.  I take my garmin gps76C to bed
with me so I can hear the anchor alarm (sometimes I like the GPS more than
sex). I find no serious degradation in performance - although there will be
some (I couldn't find exact numbers on the internet).  I also have a sirius
radio mounted below deck (2.3 GHz)- it works fine (max signal in the US).
What will matter though are metallic objects like the ladder, stern rails
winches etc - you must ensure that the GPS can see the whole sky with no
obstruction.  "back by the fuel tank" might have a problem with the stern
rail, ladder,  engine vents and people seated overtop.

Bob Tiernay
Windwalker