[C320-list] 125% Jib

CARY DENNIS LOWE cdlowe1769 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 11 22:42:31 PST 2010

Hi everyone:

This is my first post, so if I step on somebodies toes it's not intentional.  I have a 2002 320 sail number 971.  I live in San Jose California and keep my boat in the south bay of San Francisco in Redwood City.  Oh, I forgot to mention that my boat has a wing keel.  My problem is with pointing.  I use the boat for beer can racing during the summer and we normally have 20 to 25 knot winds.  I am currently using the 110 jib that came with the boat.  However, I am considering moving up to a 125, this is the largest jib that I can go without affecting my PHRF rating.  I bought my Catalina because I had been crewing on a Hunter for the last couple of years and noticed how bad they point.  I was also impressed with the performance of the Catalina's that I have seen in our races.

So the question is what am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do right to make the boat point higher in weather?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis