[C320-list] 125% Jib

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Jan 11 23:24:48 PST 2010

Hello Dennis,

I have raced my boat heavily (and successfully) on Lake Michigan out
of Holland, Michigan for many years and now keep my boat in San
Francisco (Pier 39), where I hope to race again soon.  Either way, I
know what you are going through.

Now on pointing the boat and racing.  Some of it good news, some bad/
expensive.

(1) First off you should add a back stay adjuster.  That will help a
little in pointing.  You can go with the line-pulley arrangement or
hydraulic back stay adjuster.

(2) One thing that massively impacted my pointing was changing to a
Fin keel.  It also dropped 600 lbs in weight.  Either way, the Fin
Keel makes a big difference in pointing.  A great mod - and can be
expensive (around $7000 I believe).

(3) Of course adjusting weight and bodies also makes a difference in
pointing.  In light air I put everyone on the low side (leeward
side).  In strong wind, the wind ward side.

(4) Little things also help, like no stretch sheets and halyards,
folding propellor (actually that is a biggy).

One thing I do not know about is PHRF in the bay area, but in Michigan
the handicap takes into account all sails.  So if the air is light and
you have a small sail you are punishing yourself.  I also race a J22
in New Mexico and they assume a typical sail inventory.  Do they
really change your PHRF in the bay area if you go above a 125?  I
would be killed since I have a 150 and 155, plus asymetrical, etc.
BTW, what is your handicap?  Mine was 156 with a fin keel on Lake
Michigan.  Trying to gage what it will be in the bay area.

Hopes this helps a little.

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320 "Dawn Treader"