[C320-list] Electrical problem

Karl Mielenhausen _/) C320 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 8 20:01:58 PST 2010

Mike,

As suggested, the first thing I would do is water the batteries.
Then disconnect the positive leads and check the voltage on each battery,
or better yet the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
You would like to see 12.63 vDC and 1.265 SG.

Then I would clean all the contacts and reconnect the cabling. Especially
make sure that the leads from the battery charger are clean and tight.
Turn the charger on and after a minute or two, measure the voltage being
delivered to each battery. Should be in excess of 14 vDC.

Lastly, turn the charger off, start the engine, run at 2000 rpm, and check
the output of the alternator. Again, you should see 14vDC at the battery
(1, 2, or both) depending on the battery switch positioning.

Let us know how you make out....

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690