[C320-list] Electrical problem

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Wed Jan 13 03:46:47 PST 2010

Seems that all agree that replacing the ProMariner is a good idea.  However,
there are a number of chargers out there besides the Xantrex 20 - I'd
suggest some research rather than just assuming the Xantrex is your only
choice.

My boat had a Xantrex 20 installed by the PO.  Personally, I never liked the
screw connectors for attaching the battery cables.  I thought the 20A unit
was a bit undersized for 2 4Ds.  And when it died a year ago, Xantrex
wouldn't repair it, but would just offer a not-very-good discount on a new
unit.

I'd suggest starting with the charger review that Practical Sailor did a few
years ago.

If you do go AGM, make sure that both the charger and the regulator for the
alternator can be set to change them appropriately.

Dave