[C320-list] Electrical problem

Albrecht, Alan Alan.Albrecht at Williams.com
Wed Jan 13 06:01:14 PST 2010

If anyone is thinking about replacing or upgrading the wet cells in the
boat do some leg work and search for refurbished, repaired and
reconditioned batteries both AGM and wet cell sealed. These are
generally handled by specialty shop that deals only in batteries and
normally come with a 6 month warranty. The shop may not have an
expansive selection but the savings are dramatic.

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com
[mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Dave
Anderer
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:47 AM
To: C320-List at catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Electrical problem

Seems that all agree that replacing the ProMariner is a good idea.
However,
there are a number of chargers out there besides the Xantrex 20 - I'd
suggest some research rather than just assuming the Xantrex is your only
choice.

My boat had a Xantrex 20 installed by the PO.  Personally, I never liked
the
screw connectors for attaching the battery cables.  I thought the 20A
unit
was a bit undersized for 2 4Ds.  And when it died a year ago, Xantrex
wouldn't repair it, but would just offer a not-very-good discount on a
new
unit.

I'd suggest starting with the charger review that Practical Sailor did a
few
years ago.

If you do go AGM, make sure that both the charger and the regulator for
the
alternator can be set to change them appropriately.

Dave