[C320-list] Bimini versus sun awning

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:56:50 PST 2010

Alan, I have the awning as you described.  Yours is the only other one I
know of. I didn't think I'd like it when we bought the boat; but, I find it
has pluses and minuses compared to a bimini.  I actually secure the pole on
the backstays with wire ties to keep it from slipping. It's old and
stretched some so it won't otherwise stay where I want it.  I can easily
detach it from the dodger and roll it up securing it on the pole with rope
ties. I find we only do this Spring and Fall as the Sun is too unbearable
Summer in Maryland.

I'm now considering replacing it with a bimini and having serious conflict
as to which I prefer.  The only way I would go with the bimini is with the
fixed mount where there are 4 SS connection to the pushpit (2 each side,) so
that no straps are needed. A nearby boat has this installation and it has a
horizontal brace to support the floating frame. The brace has a quick
release so that the thing can be folded up when desired. This avoids the
issue of the straps that always seem to be in the way of something.  It is
more expensive.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay